Creamy Spinach Galette
Fresh baby spinach and an aromatic cheesy crust prove a winning combination in this savory galette. And, if you’re looking for more shareable treats perfect for the holidays, be sure to check out our “Movable Feast” feature in our November/December 2021 issue. Save Recipe Print Creamy Spinach Galette Makes 1 (10-inch) galette Ingredients 2 […] The post Creamy Spinach Galette appeared first on Bake from Scratch.
Fresh baby spinach and an aromatic cheesy crust prove a winning combination in this savory galette. And, if you’re looking for more shareable treats perfect for the holidays, be sure to check out our “Movable Feast” feature in our November/December 2021 issue.
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic (9 grams), minced
- 4 cups (135 grams) roughly chopped fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup (120 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (3 grams) kosher salt
- Cheesy Crust (recipe follows)
- 1 large egg (50 grams), lightly beaten
- Garnish: crushed red pepper, freshly grated Gouda
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add spinach in batches, and cook, stirring frequently, until almost wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in cream, flour, and salt, and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll Cheesy Piecrust into a 12-inch circle (about ¼ inch thick). Trim ¼ inch off edges, if desired. Transfer to prepared pan. Using a fork, pierce dough in ½-inch intervals. Spoon spinach mixture onto center of dough, and spread into an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border around edges. Fold edges over spinach mixture in 2-inch sections, overlapping, and pinch to seal any gaps. Using a pastry brush, brush edges with egg.
- Bake until dry and slightly golden on edges, 12 to 15 minutes. Rotate pan, and reduce oven temperature to 350°F (180°C). Bake until crust is golden, 5 to 8 minutes more. Let cool on pan for 5 minutes. Garnish with red pepper and cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
- 1½ cups (188 grams) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup (113 grams) cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup (57 grams) shredded Gouda cheese
- ½ cup (57 grams) shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup (60 grams) ice water
- In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, salt, dry mustard, paprika, and pepper; pulse until combined. Add cold butter and cheeses; pulse until mixture is crumbly, about 5 pulses. With processor running, add 1⁄4 cup (60 grams) ice water, 1 tablespoon (15 grams) at a time, just until dough comes together.
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.